Canadian Infantry Battalion, June 1944
Compiled from the following three War Establishments for a Canadian Infantry Battalion; II/233/2 of 27th April 1943, II/233/3 of 5th August 1943 and II/233/4 of 15th August 1944.
Canadian tables included the total of individual weapons allocated to the Infantry Battalion, but only II/233/2 shows which weapons were to be issued to which man, and has been used in the following pages.
The final version of the War Establishment was republished in March 1945, incorporating the amendments made since August 1943.
There were no changes to support weapons, but there were minor amendments and additions for individual weapons. I have a suspicion that the totals for personal weapons were not correctly amended in the original Canadian establishments as there is no change to Sten guns despite there being an increase in drivers.
The amendments to personnel were mostly administrative. The Rifle Companies lost their snipers to form a Section of eight men which was added to Battalion HQ. It comprised a Sergeant, Corporal, two Lance-Corporals and four Privates. In September 1944, Canadian Infantry Battalions added a Lieutenant (P) and Batman (R) to act as a small HQ for the sniper section, which was generally termed the Scout Platoon.
One of the orderlies from Support Company HQ was transferred to the Administrative Platoon to act as a driver for an additional 3-ton lorry. At Rifle Company HQ, the two batmen drivers swapped places with two of the bicycle orderlies, the latter of whom became drivers.
It was here the most changes took place. The Administrative Platoon received two extra vehicles, a 15-cwt water truck and an additional 3-ton lorry, while the motor mechanic's lorry was fitted with a winch. The water dutyman drove the water truck, the orderly the extra lorry, as mentioned above.
HQ of Headquarter Company received a 15-cwt truck. One 15-cwt truck in both Battalion Headquarters and the Signal Platoon was replaced by an armoured truck. The Jeep in the Administrative Platoon was sent to the Signal Platoon, which used it to replace a motorcycle, this motorcycle in turn being used by the Scout officer. The 15-cwt office truck in Battalion HQ was replaced by a second Computor vehicle. Eleven 10-cwt trailers were added, two for the Pioneer Platoon, towed by the 3-ton lorry, one for the Administrative Platoon and the balance of eight being issued as needed. There were also two 20-cwt trailers for general use.
The Canadian Army